L-3 Wescam Intranet
For more than a decade L-3 has delivered superior performance to the U.S. government, its allies, and leading corporations throughout the world. As a top ten defence contractor in the world, L-3 knows the critical role their products and services play in the protection and defence of freedoms worldwide. L-3 Wescam designs and manufactures industry-leading multi-spectral and multi-sensor Electro-Optic/Infrared (EO/IR) imaging and targeting sensor systems. These systems provide unparalleled image stability and long-range detection capability to Defence/Military, Homeland Security and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. Engineered with advanced EO/IR technology and over 40 years of superior gyro-stabilization experience, WESCAM’s MX™-Series has been proven in-theater, and controlled the battle space from every altitude. With over thousands of systems fielded worldwide, WESCAM’s systems can be found on over 100 different types of platforms, including fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV and aerostat airborne platforms, numerous surface vehicles and marine-based platforms.
L-3 Wescam knew that they needed to upgrade their current Intranet, which was a SharePoint 2007 internal webpage known as eWescam. They wanted to migrate their existing sites to the new 2010 platform and were looking for a clear site structure, a proper functioning search, and an appealing branding design that was consistent with their corporate standards. L-3 Wescam also needed help with the creation of a Governance Plan, which would provide guidance on security and maintenance as well as training for the key department users.
Envision IT developed a new SharePoint 2010 Intranet for L-3 Wescam which has become the ultimate resource for all employees. Based on gathered business requirements, the site structure is clear and delivers access to each area of the site based on user role. Envision IT went on to assist with migrating content from L-3 Wescam’s original SharePoint 2007 Intranet site onto the new 2010 platform. This involved a detailed analysis of the sites and content, creation of a migration and governance plan, followed by a trial migration into a test environment. A custom-built Inventory Application form needed special attention, and staff were provided with appropriate training in order to make the final migration and deployment a success.
- A one-stop resource centre for employee forms, company news, how-to documents, and general information
- A clear and easy to navigate information architecture
- An appealing branding design and imagery consistent with corporate standards
- Proper document management including the use of approval workflows and versioning
- A Governance Plan that provides guidance on security and maintenance, which are both priority issues
- Relevant search results to facilitate the easy location of resources, including searching file shares
- A home page with easy access to recent news, success stories, and a custom Find it Fast web part that displays the visitors most frequently visited pages
- Sub-sites include Departments, Committees, and Projects and supporting site templates
- Custom Project and Department site directories, where victors can easily find a list of department and sub-department sites, or locate project sites by project name, project manager, and project status
- End user training for site contributors and site owners, including department subject-matter experts